Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Busy Busy Learning about Kites

If you've been wondering why the silence from this blog, here is the answer. No, I'm not out there trying the new entrants to our market, those bearing price tags of S$250+. This may change come this Friday evening. Nor am I a total failure in the parafoil; I've learnt the control but don't actually like the power/pull from these kites - more like self punishment. Instead, I've been busy learning and experimenting. Thanks to my FB friends who share their valuable knowledge, I've taken another step into the deep woods of this wonderful kite land.

What is there to learn? Making/designing kites aside, which is something I'll get into next, a simple diamond kite, or should I call it Eddy since this name has a link to my part of the world, can humble you. Of course, you knew that adding a tail would help stabilize this "childish toys". Do you know that:

a. the larger version is used in KAP (Kite Aerial Photography) for its stability and performance in light wind?
b. link them together and you'll form a train (apparently, the record is 11k+ by some Japanese school kids)
c. chain them together and you'll form an arc
d. the original duo line stunt kite is an Eddy? Here's a video by my FB friend, Leon Choong, showing a stack of it.

An Eddy Kite Train

An Eddy Arc
An Eddy Duo Line Stacked Stunt Kite
In order to do all these, you've to learn not just knots but things like the balancing point of the kite, bridles and controls. More importantly, you've to experiment. The kite plans are readily available online. My current favourites are BaToCo (Spanish but Google translate or Chrome does a decent job), My Best Kite, Kite Plan Base, KiteBuilder and many more. Google them and you'll be surprised. I know an Eddy train can be had from China for rmb8 per 30 kites train, though). You just have to try it. The experience is totally different.

I liked the train and the arc; these simple creations are impressive. They take relatively low wind to fly (Eddy kites are light wind, remember?) A supplier generously passed me some to form my first train. I got a night to work on it but it didn't work out because I don't understand the balancing point issue, though the knots where perfect (thanks to BaToCo). The arch did much better. Haven't got around to the stack 'cos I'll need a bigger and not so fragile Eddy. May have to build them.

I've not used my pictures simply because my cheap kites just aren't presentable. These guys did a much better job. Any sponsors? Anyhow, they'll be ready for show soon.

Bert Maetens' Birds
The research also unearthed some marvelous creations. Take Bert Martens' Birds for example. Putting a few ordinary kites together can transform them to a show piece. I've duplicated this with my cheap China kites with some success, after numerous hours in the sun, walking up and down the line. Thanks Bert and others for sharing. More of Bert's creations are on his blog.

Along the way, you'll learn that the bridle lines play a big role in how a kite flies. A kite fighter, using variants of the eddy, could improve the balance of his kite if you deploys a 3 points bridle instead of 2. Similarly, you'll see plans for rokkakus with 2, 3, 4 and 5 points bridles, all for balance and control of the kite. And you thought it was just up for big wind and down for light wind?

If you get sick and tired of your old kites, you can give them to me (just PM me and I'll come to your doors) or, go out and get some silkscreen, acrylic or fabric paints. With a brush and some creativity, you too can transform your boring blue/red/white deltas into something like an art piece. Just let the paint dry nicely and you'll soon have a kite that is uniquely yours to show the world!

No sewing machine or skill to make your own kite? Some imagination will do the trick, with some duct/fabric tapes. Borrow some spars from your other kites, use whatever material you like (including the black trash bag) for the sail and, viola, you've made your own kite. Inspirations come from a site that sell kits for corporate workshop. I hope to be able to share my idea soon.

I was a spectator at some kite festivals here and helped out in one recently. They have these giant lifters with bags of line laundry and heavy lines. We are in the monsoon season yet the sky could be empty at times. No thanks to our location near the equator, or a lack of beach front to fly in, for that matter. I would thought that the train, arc or Bert's Birds would come in handy, together with some nice/weird creations.

In case you already have those big soft kites and line laundry but couldn't fly them in choppy/light winds, you may want to try the Pilot Kite concept. The short version is you take an easier to take-off kite to lift your giants up to cleaner air higher up instead of relying on surface winds. I'll let experts like David Gomberg run you through the details. It also serves as an anchor in crowded sky.

For show kites, my learning here is that if you want to fly these in all conditions, you'll need a flow form, sled, parafoil (not the sports kind), fled, delta and something like a rokkaku, ranked in order of wind strength, from strongest. You'll probably need most, if not all, to put up a good show in SG. 500+lb lines are expensive too. Hey, CNY is sucking me dry already. Add these to the shopping list? No way.

The giant show pieces are really spectacular. But it is very hard work when the wind don't corporate. It doesn't help that there are always people waiting for you to fail. Come on guys, it was meant for you (or the love ones next to you) to enjoy too!

Why the emphasis on unique pieces? A long time ago, I've given up on night kites; more money = more LEDs = nicer kites. The new US kites are simply too expensive. So is the line laundry and giant soft kites. In this way, I can have something unique to show without breaking the bank. After all, the plans and pictures are out there. And, surprisingly, there are a lot of kite enthusiasts ready to share. Just some time and creativity needed. A good way to pass the rainy/low-wind days too. Hell, let the kids think it is art and craft time. And, the wonderful conversations you'll have flying your creations.

I hope you support my call for the Octopus Fly Party this weekend. Off to get some tickets for this Friday and more experimenting. I would be glad to share my plans for the above. See you at SKF.

No comments:

Post a Comment