Friday, December 17, 2010

Chinese Koi and my take on kite ethics

This was one of the first big, non-delta, kites that I bought when I started. I thought it commands the sky fairly well so took the chance. Being one of the older designs, it is cheap as well.

The first day, the wind conditions was not so good. After launching the delta on the second day, only have 2 reels then, the conditions improved, suitable for this new toy. Unleashed it for the first (and sadly, last) time.

The color is definitively striking against the blue/grey sky. The frame comes in 2 parts. For the head, it fixed easily like the Ghost kite. There is an additional spar to fix at the tail end. No trouble here.

Since this is my first long kite, the hands shake a little hooking up the bridle. This is also my first with a tow line. Should I or should I not. What the heck, it's fixed and the conditions seem right. The tail end remained on the floor when I lifted it. Hmmm.

The head lift off like the Ghost using the hand launch technique. The body starts to follow. Some wind disturbance occurred when it comes to the tail part and the Koi dropped back down. Same for the second. Hmmmm.

On the third try, the wind was more consistently strong and I finally saw the tail lifting from the ground. A few hear-heart-beat seconds later, it cleared the floor. Now, cold sweat developing as I see the tail wobble about. Will it, or not? Well, the wind slowed again and the head is now kissing the ground.

Let's collect our thoughts. Rather, let the sweat dry.

Flicked the tail back, away from the head. While the head is still facing me, the rest of the body is now facing the floor. On the fifth attempt, this move paid off as the body is only lifted after some line is released. Promising.

Now to the tail. The wind has caught on the sail, requesting more line. Once given in, the tail lifted off smoothly and finally, the whole fish was airborne. High into the sky it went. The tail wobbling will continue for the first 5-10m, so watch the tension on the line.  

It's now up there with the delta. Time to sit down and reflect. Took a sip and saw a large angelfish moving near the line midway. The angelfish was then a new design that caught my eye and I was watching it climbing up the sky. The Koi stays comfortably near the delta, swing its body merrily like a lady with her scarf. The action is quite life-like; its like looking at fishes from the top.

Too near for comfort now and starts to stand, prepared for corrective actions. The angelfish makes a loop, then another. Started walking towards the kites, reeling back some. 5 steps down, the hand feel light. The Koi no longer response to the reeling actions. What happen?

I respect that one can invest more than others on kites, equipment, and of course, lines. What have we here: dyneema, tire, UV, kevlar, nylon, etc. Each have its own characteristics and strength. In international kite festivals, I was told that no abrasive lines are allowed not so much for line cutting, though I curse the angelfish, but for fear of endangering humans. Hey, kevlar do cut through skins, not just lines. But for the space constrained Singapore, who is to say one shouldn't buy some "protection" possible?

Just today, I witness a 50lb test line being cut by my UV line just on contact (well, the guy was trying to pull his kite up, naturally, and I'm stationary with strong pull on my line. In any case, sorry folks. Thankfully, your kite is low to start with). We've heard stories too of 50lb test line cutting 500lb dyneema  lines. BTW, I was using the tire line for the Koi.

To me, I don't think it is the line that matters (other than cutting my neck off with your kevlar) but the action of the fliers that matter. Let me relate another story to you.

While I watch my Koi flies away, my delta is in trouble too. This time, 5-6 kites are involved. You guessed it, the missus was flying it. Quickly, I ran towards it. People already started to gather. My UV, a 200lb kevlar, tire line, couple of 50lb test and a fish line. I wanted to mouth off but the more experienced guy asked that we do a coordinated reel back to fix it. The fix took some time but no kite was hurt. It is this kind of actions and attitude that saves the day. On paper, at least, the 200lb kevlar would be the only left in the sky if he acted independently, right?

I know I can't stop you from buying/selling the abrasive lines. Thus, I would like to suggest the following:

1. Take evasive actions, if and whenever possible, at the first instance. Obviously, we don't want to deal with the mess and lost kites to start with. Who should do it? The incoming line. Why? The kites in the sky may have grounded their line. You'll find this common with delta flyers or people trying to hook line laundry. I know you are excited to get your kite in the sky but since you are still actively flying, you have the best chance to take evasive actions. Don't blame the wind. The kite will definitely react to your reels and movements. And, please, please, please, don't mouth off. I can't see behind or directly over my head while I'm looking at my kite. You can. Will I be angry when I get snooped? What do you think?

2. Move towards your kite upon stable flight, to the edge of the field!!! Free up space/sky for kite launch for goodness sake. Take Barrage for example. The space is really confined when the wind is easterly (facing Marine Parade) or westerly (facing the construction). It is only natural that you move towards the other side while attempting launch. Once flight is stable, please don't stay there. What you'll normally see is people sitting on the east side, for example, while their kite is in the west. I always looked up before I attempt a launch. What you'll see is a sky full of lines. Any attempt to launch will surely see yours being tangled with other lines already up. If you do that, any given space can definitely accommodate more kites and we'll have less line fix to do.

3. Raise your hand and point towards your kite/line for identification. Identify yourself when your lines get tangled, please. Left hand, right hand or legs, don't matter. Don't hide quietly in a corner trying to rectify it. And, DON'T. Its too late. My friend tried to do just this you ended up with his line cut instead. It won't matter that you're using kevlar (when is the last time you checked your lines?) The easier way is for the 2 lines to come together (yes, that needs you to walk towards to other! Damn. This also helps to identify you.). The tangle will slide down towards your hands, PROMISE. Then, it is simply a matter of unwinding the lines. Don't even need the sewing tools I borrowed from my mother.  

4. Be nice and enjoy the experience. Hey, you'll make more friends this way. Yes auntie, don't complain all the way to the shop. Singapore is small. You just brought down 3 $$$$ kites. And, we share the same wind/sky.

Hope you can support these actions.

Overall, though old, the Koi needs a higher wind (mid to high force 2) to fly but it is a stable kite in the air. I still look at the Koi "waving through the water" whenever others took it up. Hopefully, the ugly incidences will be a thing of the past and we can enjoy flying and each other.



  • Shape: Fish

  • Size: 120x380cm, 120cm packed (I think)

  • Weight: --

  • Rods: 6, 4 fixed (I think)

  • Fix:  Easy

  • Bridle: Flexible

  • Tail Provision: No need

  • Pull: Medium

  • Test Launch Wind: 6.8 km/h (thereabout)




  • No comments:

    Post a Comment